The Inquest

The Inquest, a time for answers...

After 15 months of campaigning we finally had the opportunity to ask the tough questions “what went wrong” – to the Doctors under oath. The Inquest heard an external review identified several shortcomings in the care given to Charlotte. Dr Scott, confirmed that if Charlotte had been diagnosed with Tonsillitis and prescribed the correct medication, the outcome could have been different .

Also under some difficult questioning Dr Perret-Jones, hospital consultant confirmed she had not read the notes and placed Charlotte in the wrong ward.

The independent report found twelve failings, with recommendations to put right with immediate training.

The inquest was very difficult and emotional, but by raising awareness, hopefully the hospital will action the recommendations so our campaign was worthwhile. I wish to thank everyone for there continued support, especially with the petition, as this was the key that opened the door to the inquest.


3rd/4th Nov 2010
Due to the unprecedented news coverage in both National and Local papers and online media we are able to provide external links to third party websites for you to read about the inquest. We would like to thank in particular the Shropshire Star Newspaper and The Oswestry Advertizer for there continued support throughout the inquest and for publishing all the foundation related news.

Charlotte Hartey inquest concluded
Published date: 09 November 2010 | Published by: Emily Davies

Family's fight for answers
Published date: 02 November 2010 | Published by: David Lawson
A FAMILY'S long fight to get answers to their daughter's sudden death should end this week.

Swine flu a fatal 'guess'
4/11/2010 INQUEST. A teenager died from tonsillitis after doctors "guessed" she had swine flu. Charlotte Hartey, 16, developed bronchial pneumonia from abscesses on her lungs and was admitted to hospital with failing kidneys and breathing difficulties. She died two days later.

Teen died from missed tonsillitis
A TEENAGER struck down with blood poisoning from tonsillitis died after doctors wrongly diagnosed her with swine flu, an inquest heard. Charlotte Hartey died in July last year after developing bronchial pneumonia from abscesses on her lungs caused by tonsillitis bacteria.